Sunday, October 5, 2014

Caramel Sauce


So, prepared to have your minds blown.  Are you ready?  Here is the recipe for an EASY, clean, and 21 Day Fix approved caramel sauce.....Boom!  I find myself thinking of all the great recipes that I start making when Fall rolls around.  But, now that I am eating clean, my first reaction is that I can't have that.  Wait a minute....why not?  So I am rummaging through some Fall staples, and making them clean and healthy.  This is so easy and delicious, you may need to make a double batch!

1 cup almond milk (or canned coconut milk)
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (no...not pancake syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt (just a little pinch, it will become stronger as it thickens)

Put all ingredients in a non-stick pot.  Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.  Stir occasionally.  It takes about 6 minutes for it to boil.  Now this is where you have to have a little bit of faith and patience.  Just let it continue to boil and thicken.  I will admit, I was a doubting Thomas as I would check on it, but trust me....it will cook down into a DELICIOUS caramel sauce.  I even washed bottles while it did its thing.  So stir occasionally, but you don't need to watch it like a hawk.  You are looking for it to boil down from a light brown milky substance, to a nice, rich and thick caramel.  This will take about 14 minutes after it starts to boil....roughly 20 minutes total cooking time.  Pull it off the heat to cool.  Place in a container and it can be eaten immediately or stored in the fridge for about a week.  It will thicken in the fridge, so you can just warm it in the microwave.  And enjoy!!!!!

Yield:  about 9 teaspoons

**This recipe is clean eating and 21 Day Fix approved.**
21 Day Fix:  1 teaspoon counts as 1 of your honey/maple syrup for the day!  You get 1 to 2!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment