Monday, September 29, 2014

A Tale of Two Brussels Sprouts


At 4:30 this morning, I received a text from a friend asking me if I had a good recipe for Brussels Sprouts.  And yes...it's Brussels, not Brussel.  I must admit, other than steaming them and quickly eating my way through them so I didn't have to taste them much, I did not have much use for Brussels Sprouts.  Upon research, I discovered there aren't a whole lot of recipes involving this underutilized vegetable.  Then there was the question of roasting or sauteing.  Why not try it both ways and see which I like better?  So I did.  I used the same recipe, and just split it in half and cooked it two different ways.  And if ever you were to branch out and try Brussels Sprouts....this is the recipe to do it with.  You will not regret it.  Seriously, best dish EVER!!!  Did I mention it is loaded with vitamin C and K, as well as many others.

16 ounce bag of Brussels Sprouts (bottoms cut off and quartered) (4 green)
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup (not pancake syrup)
1 teaspoon Himalayan or Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 pieces of turkey bacon diced (1 red)

If Roasting:  Preheat oven to 400.  Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and place in a baking pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until you can poke Brussels gently with a fork.

If Sauteing:  Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and cook in frying pan over medium-high heat.  Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until Brussels Sprouts are tender and caramelized.

Now, as to which method is better.  Honestly, there is not much difference.  If you need free hand and prefer a crisper vegetable then roast them.  If you have 15 minutes to spare in the kitchen and prefer nice tender, caramelized vegetables then you will saute them.  Either way, they are divine...and good for you!!!!

**This recipe is clean and 21 Day Fix approved**
21 Day Fix:  1 green, 1 teaspoon of your syrup/honey allotment


No comments:

Post a Comment