Monday, March 30, 2015

Roasted Pepper Hummus

I have always bought Hummus pre-made.  Despite my knowing how easy it is to make myself.  I've made it once or twice before, but it just tastes sooooo much better already made.  But this week when I was grocery shopping, they were having a sale on red and yellow peppers.  So I decided why not try to finally make it COMPLETELY from scratch and clean.  This means not using canned beans, but actually re-hydrating dried beans so as to avoid all the unnecessary sodium from the canned ones.  So, I gave it a whirl.  And I actually danced in my kitchen when I tasted it because it was freaking delicious! So please please please....if you have not tried to make it yourself yet, please do.  Not only was it easy AND delicious AND clean...but I made 6 times the amount I would get for the same price.  That's right, 6 TIMES!!!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (or 1 can no-salt drained and rinsed)
1 red/yellow/orange pepper roasted (see below on how to roast these)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 1-2 lemons)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
Throw it all in a food processor and eat it up!!!  Keep processing until you get a consistency you prefer.



Roasting Peppers:
Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs from the peppers.  Quarter the pepper and place on a pan covered in foil.  Put in your oven, and broil on high.  Roast for 20 minutes...the tops should be charred black.  Remove it from the oven and completely wrap up the peppers inside the foil and let them sit for 10 minutes.  Then peel the skins off the peppers, and use as you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment